Graduating from college, I didn't know a lot about cooking. I could make macaroni and cheese from a box and a few other basics but not much more. In fact, I'm ashamed to admit that I'd probably never even made a grilled cheese sandwich or scrambled an egg before I met my husband. My mom is an amazing cook, so I'm not sure how I got out of the house without knowing these basic things. Our first few years together my husband and I lived on Lipton noodles, Chunky soups and lots of Subway and other fast food. Healthy, I know.
When I got pregnant with our son I tried to start eating healthier. My husband was sweet and made me cheesy enchilada hamburger helper and homemade mashed potatoes many times during my pregnancy. Since we have become parents I have really tried to cook more and try new things. I've been looking through recipe books, using online recipe websites and have a few recipes from friends. I've also found a few recipes on other blogs which is why I post some of mine. I know we still need to eat a lot more fresh vegetables and fruits but we are getting there. I've still never cooked a steak or pork chops or used a grill though. Some day.
I used to get a "make your own pasta" from Fazoli's a lot. I would order penne noodles with alfredo and marinara sauces. So good! They took that off the menu a long time ago but my Mom had something similar at her house not long ago so I bought the noodles and both sauces and decided to try to come up with a way to cook it. With my friend Jacinda's help via text this is what we came up with:
Marinara Alfredo Chicken Penne Bake:
1 3/4 cup penne noodles *1 3/4 precooked
4 oz alfredo sauce
4 oz marinara sauce
1 egg
1/2 cup mozz cheese
1 can chunk chicken breast
Cook noodles as directed.
Drain chicken breast, then divide in to small pieces in 2 quart glass baking dish.
Lightly beat egg, then add noodles and both sauces.
Add noodle mixture to chicken and stir.
Top with mozz cheese.
Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 min or until heated through.
My husband and son both liked it and I thought it was really good! When I make it again I will probably use more noodles and more of each sauce and then use a 3 quart (9 x 13) dish but for my first try I was proud of myself. Thanks for your help Jacinda!
No comments:
Post a Comment